Weight Loss For Beginners | 12 Healthy Habits
Obesity is fast becoming an epidemic. The thing about obesity is that it is almost always nothing but HUNGER. Foods today are so depleted of any kind of nutrient – dead in cans, jars, boxes, packages – that the body is not getting the nutrition that it needs to feel nourished and satisfied. People are hungry because even though they are full they are not truly nourished so they continue to feel hungry. This is the real reason why people tend to overeat. But, rather than reaching for whole living foods to quench their hunger they still eat the wrong foods so they become obese and are still not nourished and are still hungry.
Calorie Restriction is NOT the Answer
Any diet that is calorie restrictive is not long term sustainable. What a beautiful thing it is to eat in abundance and to feel amazing in both body and mind afterwards. This is a stark contrast to the way many people on a standard diet eat today always portion controlling and never truly feeling satisfied. Eating until total satisfaction is how we were designed to thrive. No animal in the wild eating their species specific diet is overweight and they all eat as much as they desire. A monkey never thinks to himself “I better stop eating these bananas or I will get fat”, so why do we?
The problem is not that we are eating too much and need to portion control but that we are eating the wrong foods and maintaining a stressful lifestyle with little sleep, sunshine and exercise. Any diet that says in order to lose weight you must eat small amounts of food (calorie restrict) is not long term sustainable. Falling off the wagon is inevitable and this is why diets always fail us.
Weight loss tips
Below are some effective habits that you can incorporate into your daily routine to achieve optimal nutrition and in end effect your ideal weight.
Tip* Print the sheet and make notes or tick off each point when you incorporate it into your daily routine.
- Make at least 65 – 75 percent of your food intake raw and plant based.
Weight loss happens naturally when you transition to eating raw foods because you give yourself outstanding nutrition with foods that aren’t calorie dense. For the most part, if you eat many vegetables, fruits and sprouts, you will feel light, clean and look lean.
- Eat whole grains rather than refined grains. Eating fibreless grains can have adverse effects on digestive health and elimination – eat foods as close to the way they are grown as possible.
- Drink enough water to cause you to pee often. Aim to pee at least every two hours. If the colour of your pee is not clear to pale yellow then you are not drinking enough.
- Eat light foods in the morning. A large fruit bowl, green smoothies, vegetable juices, fruit smoothies and gluten free oats are easily digestible and provide you with energy needed for the day.
- Minimize or avoid all meat and dairy products. They are highly acidic, difficult to digest, contain zero fibre and are high in fat. Many illnesses like Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, Arthritis, Osteoporosis etc. have been linked to the high consumption of animal products.
- Avoid all products containing white sugar. Use a little raw honey, dates, coconut sugar, maple syrup or raw agave instead.
- Avoid all products containing white flour and table salt. Use Braggs Aminos or sea salt as a substitute, and gluten free flour or whole wheat flour instead of white flour.
- Do at least 30 – 60 minutes vigorous exercise 3-4 times a week. Practise stretching i.e. Yoga, Pilates so that your joints and muscles don’t get stiff and you help your body burn extra calories.
- Breathe! Air is the most important nutrients. Be sure to either take a 20 minute walk or consciously breathe deeper, every day.
- Chew all your food well, even liquid meals like smoothies & juices. Chewing food triggers saliva production which initiates digestion and also releases brain chemicals that decrease the feeling of hunger.
- Don’t eat the last 4 – 5 hours before you go to bed. (Your body priorities digestion over sleep so when your final meal is too complex, high in fat or too abundant you may have trouble sleeping well and getting the necessary rest and healing you need).