Vegan Cupcakes, Gluten Free
I have to admit the first time I saw someone baking with oat flour I was a bit doubtful, even more so when I first used oat flour to make homemade banana bread for my partner and it turned out too dense and moist. But after much trial and error I have to say oat flour is a wonderful substitute in baking especially because it doesn’t contain gluten and is easier to digest.
This simple yet delicious cupcake recipe can be enjoyed at any time of year and they are a much healthier alternative to the sugar laden, nutrient lacking cupcakes we see in most bakery shops today.
2 1/3 cups oat flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoon baking soda
¼ nutmeg, ¼ vanilla, ¼ sea salt (I recommend Celtic sea salt)
1 ½ cups unsweetend apple sauce
1/3 cup maple syrup
¼ cup coconut oil
Organic cacao nibs
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Then mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together and mix very well. You can use a mixer but it is not necessary.
- Fold in the cacao nibs
- Spoon into muffin tins
- Bake for 20-25mins at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Celsius
- Allow to cool for about 15mins
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients:
- 2 avocados
- 1 table spoon raw cacao powder
- A little bit of nut milk – rice, coconut or almond milk goes well (to help blend)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (or other healthy sweetener, like 5 softdates, coconut sugar)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend till it’s smooth and silky. Add nut milk to help blend it in small amounts so that it doesn’t get too watery.
- Add more sweetener or salt for flavor