The Best Gluten Free Apple Crumble Recipe
I love apple crumble
Recently I have been making a lot of apple crumble. It is reminiscent of my early 20s when I wanted to start eating a bit healthier, sigh! I remember after having my dinner with my, then boyfriend. We would look at each other and think “time for some apple crumble!”.
During this time I used to make this dish with unhealthy ingredients like margarine, white sugar and white flour. “Oh! How times have changed”. Fast forward almost 10 years and of course I am much wiser and healthier, “if I may say so”.
This easy apple crumble recipe proves that you don’t have use unhealthy ingredients to make this goodness taste amazing. Substituting the white flour for oat flour, white sugar for coconut sugar and margarine for coconut oil is a really genius combination and yum “I kid you not”. Please try it and see for yourself.
Something that also goes really well with this combo is to add strawberries in with the apples when baking. The mushy apples and berries after roasting always melt in my mouth like a sweet melody. You can make a simple frozen banana & vanilla ice-cream to go with this.
Serves: 1-2 cook: 25mins
Prep Time: 15mins
- 3 pink lady apples, chopped
- 5 strawberries – halved (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons gluten free oats or whole wheat flour
- 1 huge tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or 400ºF
- Cook the apple chunks, sugar and cinnamon in a pot with a little water for 10mins.
- While the apples are cooking, mix the coconut oil, sugar and flour in a bowl. The amount of flour depends on how crumbly you like it.
- Pour the cooked apples and raw strawberries into an ovenproof dish.
- Scatter the crumble over the apple mixture in an even layer.
- Bake for about 20 -25 mins or until golden
- Serve your warm apple crumble with ice-cream for a treat (blend 3 frozen bananas and 1 teaspoon vanilla powder with little plant milk to help blend. Ice-cream done.