15 Principles of Healthy Nutrition
Tip* Print the sheet and make notes or tick off each point when you incorporate it into your daily routine.
- Make at least 65 – 75 percent of your food intake raw.
(cooking food above 118 F or 47 C destroys about 83% of vitamin content, kills all enzymes which aid digestion, de-natures protein, and minerals become inorganic so that they cannot be used by our bodies.
- Eat whole grains rather than refined grains (eating fibreless grains can have adverse effects on digestive health and elimination)
- Eat foods as close to the way they are grown as possible.
- Start your day with a large glass of water in the morning. Keep hydrated with mineral, spring or filtered water throughout the day. Avoid tap water or drinks made with tap water i.e. soft, canned drinks, many alcoholic beverages. Tap water contains chlorine, fluoride, arsenic and many more pollutes that are harmful to the body.
- Eat light foods in the morning (a large fruit bowl, green smoothies, vegetable juices, fruit smoothies etc. are easily digestible and provide you with carbohydrates and energy needed for the day).
- Minimize or avoid all meat and dairy products (they are highly acidic, difficult to digest, contain zero fibre and are high in fat). Many illnesses like Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, Arthritis, Osteoporosis etc. have been linked to the high consumption of animal products.
- Avoid all products containing white sugar (Use little raw honey, dates, coconut sugar, maple syrup or raw agave instead)
- Avoid all products containing white flour and table salt (use Braggs Aminos or sea salt as a substitute, and gluten free flour or whole wheat flour instead of white flour)
- Use cold pressed vegetable oils stored in glass bottles instead of hydrogenated oils (Good quality oil is important for good health. Olive, hemp, flax and linseed oil as well as coconut all provide fuel and building blocks for our bodies. Eliminate hydrogenated oils found in many margarines, biscuits and processed).
- Exercise vigorously at least every other day. Also practise stretching i.e. Yoga, Pilates so that your joints and muscles don’t get stiff.
- Air is the most important nutrients. Be sure to either take a 20 minute walk or consciously breathe deeper, every day.
- Avoid high intakes of alcohol, tea and coffee. These drinks affect the mineral stores in your body and don’t help you absorb minerals effectively. Have herb teas, dandelion root coffee, vegetable juices and Barley green powder in water instead.
- Chew all your food well, even liquid meals like smoothies & juices. Chewing food triggers saliva production which initiates digestion and also releases brain chemicals that decrease the feeling of hunger.
- Leave a twelve hour window from the last meal of the day to the first meal the next day and don’t eat the last 4 hours before you go to bed. (Stop eating food 3hrs prior to sleep or else your body will be running a marathon trying to break down your food, so your body will be exhausted when u wake up)
- Buy organic and locally grown food where ever possible.